Today, the spectacular construction is a building with complex foundations. It closes in to protect the inner court and is composed essentially, of 5 main bodies, each built in different periods:
The Main tower
(end twelfth century - beginning
of thirteenth century) and town boundary walls,
built perhaps on the remains of a previous tower,
is square based and the summit affords truly amazing
panoramic views, which take in the entire lake,
with Arona, the foothills of the Alps and the Alps
crowning a scene of truly matchless beauty.
The "Scaligera" wing
This small palace, called
the "Scaligera" wing, rises between the inner walls
and the remains of an older tower. The stone construction
dates from the first half of the thirteenth century.
The Viscontea wing
The palace, which backs
onto the main tower, is referable to the work of
Ottone Visconti, whose political and military achievements
(such as the victory over the Torriani, captained
by Napo della Torre, in 1277) are celebrated in
admirable fashion in the series of frescoes dating
from the fourteenth or late thirteenth century in
the large upper room, inaccurately named the Sala
di Giustizia (Judgement Room). This series is amongst
the most complex that medieval art has left behind,
and it bears witness to the style that flourished
in Lombardy between the thirteenth and fourteenth
The Giovanni Visconti tower (circa 1350)
The tower was built during the archibishopric of Giovanni
Visconti, near the southern extremity of the Viscontea wing.
The Borromeo family wing
The Borromeo family,
who became the owners of the Rocca di Angera in
1449, are responsible for the main interventions
carried out on it after the fifteenth century.
Nowadays, the Rocca Borromeo of Angera houses the
Doll and ChildrenÕs Clothes Museum, which are part
of the Borromeo collection.